Monday, August 4, 2008

The Sex Talk-Do It


I can't believe that one day I'll have to talk to my little baby girl about sex. And it will probably be sooner than later, at least it should be. What got me thinking about this was this Newsweek article, Talking the "sex" Talk to Tween and Teens. There were some good suggestions in there about ways to talk to your child about sex. But of course, being the journalist I am, I had to go and look for some facts about black girls and sex. Google led me to this article on one of my favorite sites, TheRoot.com. An excerpt below of statistics was scary enough for me to be happy that my child is just about two, and hopefully at least 4 or 5 years from our initial discussion. Although I'm already telling her not to let anybody touch her in her private places. Ain't it sad that you have to tell a 2 year old that? From TheRoot.com's Black Girls and STDs:

"African American girls are at particular risk for a lifetime of maternal and infant mortality, unintended pregnancies leading to higher abortion rates, and the growing epidemic of HIV/AIDS. Black women are nearly four times more likely to die in childbirth than white women. Black women are 23 times more likely to be infected with HIV/AIDS and 14 times more likely to die from the disease. The numbers of black girls receiving abstinence-only instruction instead of comprehensive sex education has significantly increased as compared to white girls. This means young black women are not being taught about contraceptive use for preventing pregnancy and protecting against sexually transmitted diseases."

This piece also had some great suggestions about how to help the plight of our black girls on a larger scale, like demanding that your congressional representative fight for better access to health care for women of color. Sorry to end on such a heavy note tonight, but better to be aware and proactive than ignorant and regretful.

Talk to your kids,
JD

Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin