Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Big 3-8 and 20 Years Outta High School



So I was reading my high school graduation autograph book last night and I literally fell out laughing at my classmates funnies, memories and so called advice about college. High school was certainly something. Excerpts at the bottom of this post.

As I approach the beginning of my 38th year this week and my 20th high school reunion in May (who the hell knows if I'll go), I'm taking stock of what I've done, where I am and how I feel about myself. And right now, in this moment, actually for the past few months, I've been feeling pretty damned good about myself.

I'm hot. Great life. BEAUTIFUL baby girl, rewarding gig, homeowner, second novel nearly done...I'm doin' the damned thing. I mean sometimes you just gotta big up yourself. Anybody feel me?

Yes, the economy is affecting me just like everybody else I guess (I lost a chunk of freelance change recently). But you know what? Unexpected income has shown up and showed out, plus I've also gotten a gang of "Damn you looking good" comments lately. I'm working out regularly, eating better, cooking lots more, tracking where I spend every penny, getting more domestic (hanging curtains and all), getting my pamper on, just being more responsible and good to myself (which feels superfantastic).

The last time I felt this good, I got a great gig. The time before that, I got pregnant. The time before, a man came into my life. The time before that, I bought a house. And the times before that, I moved back to my hometown, got a book deal, got a dream job.

See my pattern? That's how my life has been. When I'm living right and treating myself good, God is working it out. And the way I'm feeling now (I'm loving the sound of 38. 37 was okay, but 38 is sexy, savvy and saucy)- I know that God has got something big planned for me.

So come on 38! Come on 20-year high school reunion! Maybe a miracle will happen and I'll break down and go. If anyone knows any of the 8 black students in the Class of '89 from The Westminster Schools in Atlanta, or shoot, any of the few other colored folks in the classes above or below '89, tell them to get at me. Shoot 'em a link to this post - they have got to see the silly stuff they wrote in my autograph book.

Be good to yourselves. Enjoy every thing in every day. Peace and hair grease - showin' my age ain't I? :)

jd

Joyce's 1989 Autograph Book
(I had lots of names, y'all)

Joyce,
It was nice having you roll them eyes at me every time we saw each other and I'll always remember you as a nutty crazy girl...Have fun at Howard.

Elaine, Joyce, Dee Dee (and whatever else!)
I can't believe we're going to be out of Westminster (sh--, Yes I do. The Lord knows we've suffered enough)...Anyway, have fun at Howard and say hello to "Cockroach" for me."

Yo Yo!
Well its gwan be like dis: we be missin you but we'll hang dough...well...my name is OJ and I'm here to say, I got a brand new Cavalier from Chevrolet. A wickey, wickey, wickey!! Its a shame I can't think of anything to say, seein as how you be leevin..Its funny how we all started out at each other's necks and ended up so close. Next year just won't be the same. I'm really going to miss you.

Joyce,
Now you are moving on to bigger and better things (Howard guys!), you think you're something don't you? (snap-snap) We will miss your loudness and rolling eyes. Think of us back here while you are PARTYING!

Joyce, Elaine, etc...
Remember all you gotta do is be black and die...May the best times you have be the worst you ever see...don't let anyone steal your dreams.

Elaine,
You know you are crazy, but deep down inside (heaven knows how deep), you are a nice person. Have a great time at Howard & stay FINE, but not LOUD.

Yo Watsup Joyce,
You are free from this school and you're leaving all your poor friends behind HERE. When you are a freshman in college, remember us poor little kids in high school. You BETTER keep in touch. I will be up there next year during homecoming and I WANT TO PARTY.

Joyce,
We have been best friends for two years now - through the good & bad times, through Keith Sweat, Guy, Two Live Crew, 'Skegee (tee-hee!!). But my hand hurts at this particular moment, so I will continue later...

Elaine,
Thanks for all the advice on all the girl problems of mine. But most of all thanks for being a great friend; you'll always be in my heart.

Elaine,
In the words of the immortal God, me, don't smoke, drink, or uncross your legs at college. Remember freshmen are just fresh meat to guys. Have fun.

Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin