Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Why doesn't Jamie Foxx sing like Frankie Beverly?


Tonight I saw this video with R&B singer Joe singing "Can't Get Over You" by Maze featuring Frankie Beverly and all I could wonder was why didn't Joe spend his career singing songs with more meaningful lyrics like that?

I think the same thing every time I hear Jamie Foxx on the radio. That brother is talented and when I first heard that he was going to be a recording artist, I just knew he was gonna come with some Brian McKnight, Will Downing, Gerald LeVert, Maxwell - shoot, anything in there. Not "Blame It" on the alcohol. Talk about disappointing.

And he got in the R&B game so much older than most artists, so I really thought he looked and sounded ridiculous. I'm not gonna say that he doesn't have some catchy as hell hooks and sometimes witty lyrics. I have moved my behind to the hook he sang on Kanye West's "Slow Jamz," but honestly I don't think his contribution to music is at all memorable. His songs will be forgotten because they're just not lasting.

Yes, there is a place for music of the moment. I indulged in a whole lot of it in my teens, twenties and early thirties - and still do when the throwback mood hits me. But I guess I've moved on to a different game, weeding out the classics from the quick hits - urban radio's seemingly soul purpose now. Because I've been reviewing music for magazines for nearly 15 years, I do get an opportunity to hear some amazing artists that never even get released. Or if they do, they don't get any respect.

I just wish those that do get props, airplay and crazy sales threw in some more tracks with meaningful lyrics between "Birthday Sex" and "Baby By Me." But maybe if they did, they wouldn't be so successful. Maybe the tracks are on the albums and the radio just doesn't play them. Whatever. I just hate to see wasted potential - and I see that on a regular basis in music these days. Sad.

Okay. Rant over. Just had to get this off my chest. Is anyone feeling me?

Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin