Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena Horne: Thank You Momma!

Thank you Momma for taking me - at age 12 - to see Lena Horne in her one-woman show, "The Lady and Her Music." You knew, Momma, that it was important for me to see this amazing talent. I was blessed and in awe of her larger than life performance. Thank you Momma for instilling in me an appreciation of the arts nearly from birth. You are truly the best - Happy Day After Mothers Day!



Lena Horne after receiving a special Tony Award in 1981: "Sometimes you have to wait 50 years. Sometimes it comes in a year. But whenever it comes...I'm just so happy that I am getting all these flowers before I lose my teeth."

Below are some photos of Ms. Horne that struck me. I especially enjoyed the ones of her with the Tuskegee Airmen, at the March on Washington, with Stevie Wonder, and as Good Witch Glenda in The Wiz - probably my first introduction to this incomparable artist, who was so dedicated to her craft. Enjoy!




























Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin