Friday, June 18, 2010

If You Haven't Read Sugar by Bernice McFadden, You Should

Sugar (Sugar Lacey, #1) Sugar by Bernice L. McFadden


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Sugar was beautifully wrenching. At times it was almost too painful for me to read. I really could not understand why Sugar kept making the choices that she did. Her life is certainly an example of how a woman can be beat down so much that she can't accept good treatment even when it's offered to her numerous times. I love historical fiction and good story-telling. And the writing was tremendous. I loved the phrasing, settings and descriptions - word choice made them vibrant and substantive; brevity kept them from being a distraction from the flow of the book.Bernice McFadden seems to be an extremely empathetic writer. I felt every character in the book. They all had some tragic disappointments in their lives, but it was lovely the way that those life-changing experiences were weaved together. I was totally surprised by the ending - which rarely happens. I'd definitely recommend this as a haunting and emotional read. The characters are staying with me. I keep wondering what is happening with all of them. How are their lives progressing? Bernice, I really want to know: What happens to Sugar?

View all my reviews >>

Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin