Thursday, July 29, 2010

Interviewing Ntozake Shange Tomorrow!

Tomorrow I'll be interviewing Ntozake Shange and I'm feeling a bit like I did the night before I interviewed Alice Walker - nervous.

Before I interviewed Ms. Walker, I spent a several hours on the phone with several of the most talented writers I know. We talked about questions, conversation tactics, and the work of Ms. Walker. It helped, but I was still nervous.

In the end the interview was interesting and enlightening. My nervousness fell away as I listened to her speak about issues in the world that were important to her.

I'm not freaking out as much this time because I realize that the conversation between two writers is one that is driven by both their experiences and ideas. But as I prepare to interview Ms. Shange, I am still a bit jittery about speaking to a writer who's made such an impact with her craft. Committed writers are easy to spot. They sacrifice plenty to put work into a passion that is often terribly lonely and involves difficult discipline, introspection and self-critiquing.

I'm interested in her path - as I know many of you are. So if you have anything you'd like to hear her speak on, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Peace and much love!

Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin