Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ten Years, Ten Doctors & a Two-Pound Fibroid: Conya Doss

When soul singer Conya Doss agreed to open up to me about her harrowing experience with uterine fibroids for Heart & Soul magazine, I had no idea we'd talk for more than an hour.

Conya's battle with the tumors and the impact they've had on her life is nothing short of remarkable. According to one study, 50% of women suffer with these growths, which develop based on estrogen production from the smooth muscle layer of the uterus.

The fact that fibroids are two to three times more likely to occur in Black women than in other American women
is why I am so appreciative of having the opportunity to help Conya share her experience and her sage advice. Because I have fibroids as well - thank God they've remained tiny - I was moved by her story and I hope you will be, too.

Singer Conya Doss Opens Up On Her Battle with Fibroids

Soul singer Conya Doss caught our attention as a former teacher who started her own music label to share her feel-good music with the world. Now she opens up about her battle with fibroids that followed her along the way.
By Conya Doss as told to Joyce E. Davis

About 10 years ago I went in for my normal check up and the nurse practitioner said too casually, “Oh, you have fibroids,” and that was all. I had an ultrasound and proceeded to see 10 doctors over the next decade.

The first doctor measured the fibroids at maybe an inch and half and told me, “Don’t worry. They’re really small, but later down the line you’ll be looking at a hysterectomy.” He basically said, “If they don’t bother you, don’t bother them.”

I went to another doctor because I was concerned, but she didn’t even measure the fibroids. As I started talking to women about fibroids, I found out that basically every African American woman I know has had them and out of all of us I’m the only one who hasn’t had a hysterectomy.

Read about the rest of Conya Doss' experience with uterine fibroids at Heart&SoulMag.com.



Conya Is Fierce

Through Conya's decade-long ordeal with fibroids she was able to create some amazing music as well, including Blue Transition, her latest album, which features the beautiful All In You [Video].



And this Conya classic is my jam! What I'd Do [Video]



Not up on this soulful sister? Check out this cool Conya Doss YouTube playlist and keep on Enjoyceinglife!

Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin