Thursday, September 19, 2013

When Your Mother Quotes Shel Silverstein....


Sometimes I blind copy my mother on emails to my daughter's teachers. Or I share details with her about the politics at work. Not all the time. But sometimes. After all she's been through all this and her insight - when I want it and she wants to give it - is invaluable.

This week has been insane - you know the kind you have all the time when everything is on 10 and you feel like you're making decisions by the seat of your pants. You have to trust your gut in every situation that comes your way because you don't have time to research the countless hair-on-fire emergencies that are obviously being pitched at you by a major league devil intent on stealing your joy. 

When I call my momma during these times, she can hear it in my voice and we normally don't stay on the phone long. Cause I'm in the thick of it. Trying to make it to the breather that must be on the horizon. 

Well today, after being blind copied on several emails about a situation at my child's school, my mother responded with these sage words of wisdom:

"Yes, for all your parenting consistency. Now, for me:  I learned a poem last night.  Wanna hear it?  OK----
All the coulda, shoulda, wouldas
Laying in the sun
Talkin bout the things
They coulda, shoulda, woulda done
Ran away and hid
From the ones that did

------Shel Silverstein

That's my brain sustaining lesson."

Yes, that is my mother who sat my one-year-old daughter on the desk of the Governor of Georgia 
during this formal commendation. And which Friend of the Georgia Libraries had the nerve 
to literally help Gov. Sonny Perdue sign this commendation? You're right again. My child. 
She has no choice but to love reading, now does she? 

I love Shel Silverstein. Always have. I bet my momma, who spent decades volunteering in libraries and even serving on county and state boards for years, introduced me to his genius. Yep, he's a bit morbid. But he is mad creative and wicked witty. He's like a freaky scientist in his laboratory of boundless imagination. I love the freedom I feel he allowed himself in his work. My daughter, who's nickname should be Princess Boundary Pusher, digs Silverstein, too. Of, course.


My momma - the psychiatric social worker-attorney, who long ago retired her make-it-happen parenting role and is now happily settled into I-can't-take-on-your-project-cause-I'm-enjoying-my-grandchildren role - is still parenting. And I'm so appreciative. Thank you, Momma. So glad you still know what I need - and how to give it to me. 

Keep on Enjoyceinglife - with your loved ones. They're priceless.

Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin