Sunday, April 13, 2014

True Story: Back in the Mid-90s, Talib Kweli Gave Me a Mixed Tape....


True Story: In the mid-90s, I lived in Brooklyn, right around the corner from Nkiru Books, where a pre-BlackStar Talib Kweli used to work. I'm sure I bought books, magazines, incense and jewelry from him, since I regularly patronized what was once the oldest African American-owned bookstore in Brooklyn.

On one of my visits, he gave me a mixed cassette tape and told me to check out he and his boy Mos Def. He asked me to let him know how I liked their flow. 

I never listened. 

In 2000, several years after they released their classic "Mos Def and Talib Kweli are BlackStar," they bought Nkiru and turned it into a nonprofit organization and center to promote literacy and cultural awareness for people of color. 

#MissedOpportunity #NeverFoundCassette #YouNeverKnowWhoIsInYourSphere

#LessonLearned

Here are some of my faves from these talented artists. Please share yours and keep Enjoyceinglife. It's dope.






Share/Save This Post

Share/Bookmark

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin